Tuesday 1 January 2013

10 big (and little) dreams for 2013...

I have loooooooooved my Christmas break. Almost everything has been perfect. 
The food - plentiful 
The drinks - cold and frequent. The sun is well over my yard arm by 11am...
The company - fun and interesting. 
The weather - awesome. Feeling quite smug at Ledge Point while Perth swelters.
The boogie boarding - refreshing and life affirming.
The novels - weird yet engaging in the case of Cormac Macarthy's, The Crossing. And confusing - if anyone has any idea what happened at the end of 'A Sense of an Ending's, ending, please fill me in...

I've had time to read the papers too. If you you look carefully between the ads in the holiday papers, you'll see 'top 10's', 'hot trends', and 'year in pictures' passing themselves off as news while the journos do like the rest of us, and lie around drinking and eating for a few days. Today's blog builds on this fine cop out. 


So here are my 10 dreams for 2013...


  1. I dream of giving up screaming at the kids and working on hiding places insteadScreaming at my kids makes no difference. None at all. My head can explode in rage and all I get back is a quizzical look, the briefest of pauses and then a continuation of the whinge, whine, demand, recalcitrance that set off the aforementioned rage. Instead I'm building a good list of hiding places in the house. Not for them - but for me. If they can't find me, they won't drive me crazy. The washing line and their own bedroom is working so far...
  2. I dream of applying some of the few things I have learnt about lean and six sigma... The team still has it all over me but I occasionally pick up some useful titbits and hope to perform QCO's on getting the kids out the door in the morning, 5S'ing the leftovers in the fridge, PPS'ing the reasons why my kids don't listen.
  3. I dream of supporting the wonderful women in mining. There are no sharp elbows among the women I work with and those I know in the industry. Seriously. None. There are a few that I treat with caution only to discover that they are supportive, generous, great leaders and shaping the mining industry. They all deserve support, encouragement and development.
  4. I dream of encouraging the wonderful men of mining too...The leaders I most respect and admire consistently mention growth and opportunities when talking about their organisations and teams. 
  5. I dream of organisations that promote diversity and flexibility as the main levers for engagement, sustainable decision making and business success. 
  6. I dream of workplaces, families and communities that look after each other. Mental Health issues are real and serious. We need to listen more and support each other. 
  7. I dream about geeks being recognised and thanked for their contributions to society and business. So that one day our kids will aspire to be great engineers or scientists rather than pop stars or sportsmen.
  8. I dream of happiness and health for my family and friends. 
  9. I dream of making the perfect paper aeroplane and drawing great dinosaurs to bring a years worth of smiles to my two little men. 
  10. And finally, I will learn to say 'cheers' in 10 different languages, including Hindi, Mandarin and Indonesian. Being able to toast or say thanks to anyone, anywhere will always be valuable.
Happy New Year my friends. I look forward to sharing 2013 with you.

Cheers
Lucy





No comments:

Post a Comment