Saturday 12 October 2013

Only poor leaders knock back flexible work

Yep - that's right. If you've ever knocked back a request for flexible work from one of your employees, I'm suggesting that you take a long hard look at your own leadership skills.

I've been sitting on this post for a while now. Slightly fearful that there'll be an exception I hadn't thought of; a role requires exactly the same person to be physically present for exactly the same hours every week; a job so important that how it's performed can not be altered in any way.

I have not found a single example and yet, every week, I hear another story about talented, smart and hard working employees being knocked back for flexible work. It makes my head explode. There is absolutely nothing wrong with those seeking flexible work and a whole lot wrong with their leaders.




A quick study of most effective leaders will show that they are strong in the following areas:

  • Problem solving
  • Establishing deliverables
  • Holding employees accountable
Leadership of flexible workers requires EXACTLY the same.

Problem solving
Good leaders work with their teams and follow decision making processes before determining an outcome. If an employee has a small child at kindy 3 days per week or is studying nights, they work together to plan a roster that suits both. Great leaders understand the best outcomes can be win-win and problem solve to get there. 

Establishing deliverables
Good leaders are clear on what is required of their team. They plan, budget and deliver whatever good or service is expected from them. They know how to express their deliverables to their team. They know what their team is working towards and they don't need to be physically present for every step in the process. They understand employee strengths and allocate work based on these strengths and availability. 

Hold employees accountable
Good leaders will recruit, develop and train their teams to deliver. When employees are not delivering, they will be appropriately managed. A good leader measures performance based on behaviours and delivery, not where the person was working from or what days they worked. 

Requesting flexible work arrangements put a huge onus on the employee to state: where and when they will be working; what time they will turn up and depart; how they will hand over work; how they will manage collaboration and team work; and how they can be contacted for surprise jobs... 

Yet I have NEVER heard the same requests made of a full time worker. It seems that many leaders will let Sleepy Jones rock up day in day out, keeping his chair warm in the corner, watching the clock all day and barely delivering but the edge he has is that he is physically present. F..I..V..E    L..O..N..G   D..A..Y..S   P..E..R   W..E..E..K...

Skill-up  leaders! 

Next time a smart and hard working person comes to you for flexible work, consider your own leadership capacity before saying no. I'll certainly be asking what's wrong with you and your role such that you can not handle an employee with flexible conditions and I'm sure there will be others too!


5 comments:

  1. Hi Lucy - I couldn't agree with you more on this post. I certainly believe that it is very possible for you to have a career part-time with flexible working hours and still get the work done! The big question is whether or not your manager supports this and is willing to give it a go......I think that many organisations still live in the dark ages and don't want to change......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lucy, thanks for being a voice in regards to this issue that so many of us working mums fall victim to! I couldn't believe it when recently my employer (a huge mining company) basically forced me into resigning as the hours I required to enable me to do school pick up/drop offs for my kindy aged child were declined as deemed 'detrimental to the business requirements'! (I must have been important haha). I offered to work from home after hours and longer hours when my FIFO husband was home, but still no flexibility was shown! When companies promote themselves as being advocates for flexibility and diversity, they should stand accountable for their actions. After 7 years of service, I really expected more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments Anon 1 and Anon 2. The fact that large and supposedly smart organisations don't educate their managers on their legal obligations for flexible work is staggering... I'll keep trying and thanks and all the best to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like I am one of the few lucky one's. I recently moved towns for the benefit of my kids and also to be in a better position to cover the 4 sites that I visit. The down side was I no longer had access to before and after school care from my Mum or a centre. I sat down and planed how i could do my 40 hour week around being home for my son. Being able to do an early start from home and getting an hour of computer based work done has made it possible for me to get my boy off to school and now home as school is finishing. I am also able to work from home instead of the office if i choose. It is working out great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not sure about lucky. It sounds like you planned your flexible work well in addition to having a receptive boss. Well done! I love hearing stories of successful outcomes so thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete