Monday 22 July 2013

Been muddled up with someone else?

The funniest thing I read today was about Ernst and Young's rebranding effort. So a multinational advisory firm goes and pays a branding firm gazillions of dollars to... officially name their organisation after a saucy Spanish mens homoerotic picture magazine. Their cock-up (so to speak of course..) was in not doing their branding 101 homework. I'm not an expert but ... I'd have  probably googled my new brand before putting it out there...

I'm sure there is some embarrassment at EY over this but imagine the humiliation of the poor mens mag. Now anyone googling them is going to be directed to an accounting/advisory/consulting firm. Oh the horror...

Being far smarter than the marketing bods at EY and the branding company that just extracted their money, I did an internet search on my business name before launching. It appears that no one has thought of putting the words 'miner' and 'diversity' together yet (shocked anyone?) so I'm safe. Of course, I'll be on the leading edge of a massive trend so I trademarked and grabbed the domain names quicksmart. 

I think Diversity Miner is a pretty neat name... Being a miner that's into diversity and all... It's tempting to shorten it to DM though when I am writing reports etc so taking a lesson from our dear friends at EY, I did google the abbreviation and here is what I found:

DM is also short for:

Adamsite - its an organic compound used for riot control. (Bet you didn't know that.)
Dark Matter - makes up one quarter of the universe.
Depeche Mode and Dark Moor - 80's synth pop right and Spanish heavy metal. (Seem to have the spectrum of musical genres covered there.)
Dungeon Master - C'mon D&D fans. You know exactly what this means.
Diagonal Method - a mathematical proof of the uncountability of real numbers.
Difference due to Memory -  an event related potential differentiating between later remembered versus forgotten items.

All seems fairly innocuous... Even a little bit cool for the geeks out there.

And then I discovered....

Dungeon Monitor - a safety official at BDSM parties.

I'll leave you to look up BDSM in your own time (best not to do it at work). Rest assured that I am pretty sure you wont find any accounting/advisory/consulting firms from your search.










No comments:

Post a Comment