Sunday 24 February 2013

Busy networking?

Three weeks since I packed my desk and left corporate life (for a while at least). EVERYONE I meet is asking how I am enjoying my 'life of leisure?' Including the propeller head ... daily... "I've had no time for 'leisure'" is my standard response. The propeller head then comes back with something about too many coffees and lunches... He's right. There have been a lot of coffees and lunches but I have loved catching up with so many old friends and new. The truth is I have been busy busy busy 'networking'.

That's right. What he sees as social events and gossip, I see as an investment in the future... The seeds of a plan for life-after-Rio are starting to come together but I need to test my thinking. What better way than to catch up over a caffeinated drink, some stories  and a bite to eat.

He's still a little dubious of my motives, so I did some research on networking just to be sure. This is what was recommended at successwomensnetwork.com.au. Surely a trusted source?

What the ‘experts’ say.
What I am doing
Prepare – marketing material / name badge / business cards and your elevator speech (template sent with your welcome email)
In progress… I spent 6 hours last week trying to work out how to add some social icons to my email signature. Anyone?
Come early and leave late
50%. I was early at two functions and late for 2.
Work the room
Easy. Always on the lookout for coffee, wine, loos.
Act like the host and not the guest i.e welcome new people
Easy. Ask for more wine, coffee, canapés whenever there is a lull in conversation.
Sit next to someone you don’t know (remember their name)
50%. I sat next to someone I didn’t know but have forgotten their name. Must work on this one.
Follow up after the networking events – emails, catch ups, social media etc
Yes. I even Twittered (???) at one event…
Book a meeting at every meeting
We always promise to catch up again soon.
Be proactive – invite clients to attend events / online forum / articles / social media shout outs.
Not yet… No clients… or business…
HAVE FUN AND REMEMBER THE MORE YOU GIVE, THE MORE YOU GAIN
Of course.

By my reckoning that's 7 out of 9 when evaluated against networking tips form the experts. Take that propeller head. 

Thanks for all your advice and chats everyone. It's been a great few weeks and my plans are coming together nicely.














No comments:

Post a Comment