Sunday 28 October 2012

Workplace flexibility

My concerns with workplace flexibility became most significant when I was pregnant with my first child. Although Rio had generous maternity leave provisions for the time, I assumed that my career would stall when kids came along. I thought that you applied for maternity leave, had a baby, came back after a year or so in some sort of part time position that was not quite as interesting as your pre-maternity role and did it all again in a year or two. It was talking to women who’d been there before me that opened my eyes to new possibilities. They told me about contract work from home while on maternity leave that could slowly build up as the baby got older. They told me about negotiating so that my bonuses and entitlements were not adversely affected. They gave me the confidence to pitch for the work I could do that would be interesting and add to my development. 

When considering children, you don’t need to accept a career standstill – unless that’s what you want. We are lucky to be working in dynamic times; use your imagination to pitch your skills and limited availability at work that will stimulate you and add to your development. One of the women who had been there before me and gave me great advice was my good friend and the other half of the general manager business improvement at Rio Tinto iron ore, Fern Dyball. We were the first women to be promoted in a job share capacity at senior level in the organisation. Our great opportunity did not come by passively waiting to be anointed. We both demonstrated flexibility and determination to prove to Rio Tinto that job works at senior levels. Like all great partnerships, we work incredibly hard to have a consistent message and support the development of our team.

My experiences with workplace flexibility can be summarised as:

  1. Use your network when considering a family and seek advice from those that have been there before you. 
  2. Know that women have only been in mining  a relatively short time and our organisations are still learning – this provides you with an opportunity to shape new and exciting workplace flexibility.
  3. Never accept … “You are the right person for the job… it’s just that we want full time…” when there are great examples out there supporting flexible work practices.

Let’s be honest though. Flexibility is the bit that best for you. If you want a promotion or great work arrangements, you have to think of it from the organisations point of view. What do they get?

In the case of job share: Through experience at doing this at a senior level, I know Rio Tinto got great value. Because of our diverse background, skills and interest, Fern and I were actually greater than the sum of our parts. We knew we would be and we pitched accordingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment